Thursday, February 10, 2011

Water Water Everywhere

Here's some fun.

Rachel’s mom, Wendi, sent me a wonderful link to a British Columbia photographer who has does stunning work in some of the specialty areas we’ve been investigating: macro and HRD in particular. 

Living in Victoria, Evan Leeson walked many days to work after a rain.  For years, he took macro photos of raindrops in morning sun: the results are wonderfully visually exciting and found here

Check out his HDR images, too — it might excite in you a real interest in architectural photography.

In case you get lost navigating, Evan Leeson’s photostream is here. 


After looking at Evan’s images this afternoon, I tried my hand at some water droplet photography (above).  This is a first-try effort, but you can just go to youtube yourself, and get some tips on the rather simple setup – the real trick is hitting the shutter release at the right moment to let a fast shutter do its magic.  I am going to keep working on this one!

And it just keeps getting better!  Barb McCracken has invited all Ft. St. John & area students to Strawberry Jam at the Lido Theatre for more opportunities to try your hand at low-light performance photography.  It’s free & it’s fun and it’s every month.  Ask Barb for details. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanx for all the great links you have found for us. They help create a new way to look at things, maybe even help you create a new look :)

    Just my 2 cents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa:

    I actually took a lesson from your pictures of the water drops today. I used my flash and put coloured paper under and around the pyrex plate.

    Fortunately, I can fire me flash remotely, so I placed it on the far side of the water and tried to backlight the drops.

    I didn't have to crank the ISO at all! The images were much smoother with the strobe: thanks for demonstrating the technique.

    ReplyDelete