Monday, November 22, 2010

The Photographer's Ephemeris

I love gadgets and cool software and I really really love FREE and cool programs.

The Photographer's Ephemeris is one of the best I've seen in a while.  This free program will show you on a wonderfully detailed Google map exactly where and when the sun and moon will rise and set — every day on every spot on the entire globe!  In fact, it is worth downloading for the topographical maps alone.

It allowed me to set up for the photo on the right:  I found a date when the moon was rising directly opposite the sun WHILE the sun was setting!  (This info is displayed in nice full colour graphics: no thinking required).  Then I moved the locator push pin around until I found a place where the visual magic would happen right over a local mountain.

After that, all I had to do was go, set up my tripod and wait for the event to unfold as predicted!

(If you want the program -- you will need the Adobe Air program supplied  to unpack the Ephemeris.  It's right there, just run it first).

No comments:

Post a Comment